Sailors were housed in Dakota and Pioneer Halls, the only two dormitories on campus at the time. Sailors occupied every bed available and then some. Some of the first Sailors to arrive on campus slept for several days on bare springs that they covered with wool blankets. Due to the shortage of student housing, President Swain called on local residents to offer space in their homes to civilian students. In March of 1945, after a decrease in V-12 enrollment, Dakota Hall was returned to the college for civilian student use.