Skip to main content

West Wing Library

Third Floor Library Inside

Inside third floor library

A decade later marked another turning point in the history of the Normal School as the west wing of the Main building was completed in 1924. During this year, the library was moved to the third floor of the newly-completed area.  It housed a 7000-8000 volume collection classified according to the Dewey Decimal System.  The collection's emphasis was on the preparation of teachers and in research and economical use of the library.  The library also served as a depository for public documents. Students were ecstatic about the new library.  The Red and Green reported, “Do we remember the days when we studied in the halls on the steps, in any other place where there happened to be a vacant spot? What a change there is now!”

3rd Floor Library, Red and Green

On March 19, 1924, it was reported that the recent move had facilitated use of the library by 2400 students each week.  The library averaged 480 students daily, with the busiest hours being from 10:00-11:00 a.m. The Red and Green stated, “With this attendance, Mrs. Morris [the librarian] stands a fair chance of knowing the book worms of the school.” By July, the library was serving an average of 628 students a day, with its highest use reaching 727. The library was also an enticing place to study with decor such as a statue called “The Flying Mercury," and as the Red and Green stated: “And then, if one should weary of study, isn’t it inspiring just to sit and gaze out the library windows at the green hills with their clumps of young trees or to look out at our beautiful campus on the south?” 

After a brief sojourn on the third floor, the library moved down to the second floor of the west wing, where it remained for nearly thrity years; the first mention of the new location in the catalog is 1931, by which time the normal school had been renamed Minot State Teachers College (MSTC). As the country moved through World War II the library continued to expand. By August of 1944 it held a total of 34,000 volumes, 18,000 pamphlets, and over 275 magazines, newspapers, and professional periodicals, and yet again, was in need of expansion.