Article from Red & Green about new class set-up which preceded the EC. A similar progressive student-integrated classroom process would be developed for the EC in 1970.
Experimental colleges were not new when the EC at MSC was created. A large number of experimental colleges had been opened in the previous fifteen years; Bensalem (the experimental college at Fordham University), Franconia College, College of the Potomac, and Hampshire College were all opened as full-time experimental colleges during the period from 1958 to 1969..
These institutions and others like them set the bar for what an experimental college could be, through willingness and innovation. Experimental schools were not just liberal clones of typical colleges of the era. Many of the policies and processes of traditional colleges and universities were greatly modified or completely jettisoned.
The EC at MSC was not liberal in the same vein as Hampshire College, which was described by Coyne and Herbert, in 1969, as “students and faculty always doing the old Peace Corps things” or the College of the Potomac, which had no full-time faculty. Rather, the EC relied on professionals from various fields to relate their experiences to the student body. This in itself, however, was a substantial leap forward for MSC.